Friday, August 03, 2007

Creating Color Schemes


The children's summer art program is going on now and here are some the pieces the children have created. I love them. The one is a figure of a scribe with a scroll, particularly appropriate right now because of the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit going on at the San Diego Natural History Museum across the way. As you can see, there is also an orange and dark brown dragon and another animal which I think is a frog, but I'm not certain.
This morning when I arrived Elizabeth, the artist who teaches the pottery classes, asked me to take some photos with my phone camera. I got a bunch of good ones, I think. The phone isn't the best camera; it only has 1.3 megapixels, but certainly for little things we print up on the computer to use in the studio and for blog photos it's fine. And what I love about it is that I always have it with me. That's so handy. I'm in favor of convenience. It's very important to me. If I can accomplish a task with the minimum of hassle, I'm very happy.
I've been trying to make some beaded jewelry pieces, but I haven't been very successful so far. I'm getting more use to doing it, but I'm still struggling. One of the things I've noticed is that the beads don't come in every single color imaginable. Certainly there is a wider range of colors than there are in natural stones, but there still isn't every single color. I'll have an idea for some color scheme and then I'll find that I can't locate the colors I want. I have to either see if there are manufacturers who make more colors that aren't available locally or I just have to create color schemes with the colors I have, not try to do it the other way around.
I suppose that being use to having access to millions of colors in a computer program makes me fussy. However, I do think I've always been very particular to color. I know that when I paint a room in my house, I spend hours choosing exactly the right color. I wish beads came in as many colors as paints do. That would give me lots of options. I can imagine a time when that could happen. If we artists imagine things, the technologists will catch up and make it actually happen. I wish they'd hurry.
It was a quiet day here at Spanish Village. The President is on vacation for two weeks, so I've been designated the Acting President. So far nothing happened today, but that doesn't mean it will be quiet for two weeks. But the weekends will be worse probably. Oh, well, we'll survive without our Pres.

No comments: