Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Is Anything Happening



Here's a little succulent garden sitting up on the bannister to the balcony above Studio 18. Part of it is blooming, on the other side. These plants are so happy. Just give them a swallow or two of water and a sunny spot, and they'll grow happily for years, blooming and prospering. We should all be so contented, or at least on some level.

I suppose I don't want to be too content with my current lot in life. If I were, I wouldn't be striving to build a business and create my artwork. So even though spending my life basking in the sun sounds wonderful, I suppose it isn't really.

I spent the day working on jewelry. Before I arrived at Spanish Village this morning, I went to an industrial surplus supplier where I got some nuts, brass washers, and various other items that I can't identify. But I like the way they look, and I spent the day incorporating them into jewelry. Using brass washers could solve the problem I have of finding enough gold-filled rings and chain to intersperse with my stones and pearls. I took some tiny brass nuts and combined them with some button pearls. I love the look.

Tomorrow I'll go back to printmaking class. We only have four more sessions that we can use for printing. Then we have the final session when we clean up the room and get it ready for next semester which starts again in late January.

Everyone is thinking about Christmas presents. I've had customers looking for jewelry today and even my mother called me and asked me to bring some pieces to show her when I see her tomorrow. She wants to buy one. In addition, she's commissioned me to make a particular piece for her in green. Suddenly I feel very busy supplying jewelry. That's nice. Sometimes I feel as though I'm just working away and nothing is happening besides me working.

No comments: