Sunday, December 17, 2006

Preparing For Climate Changes, Including Political Ones



Here's a photo I took yesterday afternoon. Although the golden rain tree still looks as though it has lots of leaves on it, you can definitely see that there are gaps among the leaves. If you look really closely, you can see that the leaves are beginning to turn yellow. It's a little hard to see. I'm guessing that there will be a definite change in the next few days. We have some cold nights coming up. That will most likely make a difference.

We expected it to rain, so I thought I was going to spend the day inside. However, when I got to work, it was only party cloudy and it continued that way all day. I sat outside and worked on two necklaces. People like pearls, so I worked on a pearl one. I've got lots of pretty pearls of all different sizes and shapes. I also have a variety of colors although the bulk of the ones I bought recently are white or peach or pink. I did get some in colors like gold and amber to use with the industrial hardware that I have.

But anyway, it didn't rain, so I sat outside. However, my table faces north and in the fall and winter when the sun is further to the south, I sit in the shade all day long. Today I was very cold, even though I had on layers of clothes including sweaters and my boots. However, I noticed my neck was cold. I have two turtlenecks to wear. I'll have to make sure those are always clean. Also, I will get out some of my scarves to wear. I can leave them in my studio along with my other warm clothes. I do that so I won't wear them home and then forget to bring them back. And the other thing I did was to buy another hat. I have a hat already but it has a wide brim, and I thought it might make me unapproachable. But this new hat is velvet and only has a small brim. I think it should help keep me warm. I've heard that you can lose as much as 65% of your body heat through your head.

We have elections coming up in January at Spanish Village. Right now there's a great deal of campaigning going on. I'm not a campaigner myself. I don't care much for politics, but I am the Recording Secretary and I'd like to continue that job. I believe I can have an important voice at the the Village. In the past, I haven't had anyone run against me. However, I do have an opponent this time. I know who I think will be the best president, and I've been doing a lot of campaigning for that person. Now I think I have to do some for myself. And, of course, if I don't win re-election, I will have more time for my artwork. That's certainly not all bad.

One thing I did do today was go down to the Enamel Guild, Studio 5, and look at the various pieces they have there. Based on their prices, I figured out how much to price my enamel basket. I also put a price on the brass and copper basket that I made. I really hope it doesn't sell, because I'm thinking of entering it in the Small Image Show and/or enameling it when I have class next month. In the meantime, I'll work on making a few more baskets. I have some more ideas. And I want to create some more three dimensional shapes of various other kinds to work on enameling.

No comments: