Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Exchanging Ideas



Here's a plant that grows right near my table. I love the way some succulents have slightly pink edges, as though they're blushing, maybe at all the attention they get. But I don't begrudge them the attention. Although the plants in Spanish Village belong to and are maintained by the artists, with a few exceptions, the whole of Balboa Park is known for its botanical specimens. At one time the San Diego Zoo, part of the Park, advertised itself as having the largest collection of plants in the world, as well as the largest collection of animals. I don't know if that's still true about the plants or the animals, but certainly it gives us the opportunity of observing a great variety of interesting plants.

I'm continuing to work on beadweaving although today I did spend some time on a bracelet of a slightly different style. I made a prototype out of inexpensive beads and wire to see how the design would work. As I make different kinds of bracelets, I see what some of the design issues are. Over the weekend, I made a bracelet that I thought would be just the right length, but without adding an extra ring, the clasp wasn't right. When I added another ring, the bracelet was too long. At this point, I've got several bracelets that are too long. Because the beadweaving consists of "weaving" the beads altogether, it's much harder to undo them than it is with wire components which can be cut off individually. I'm still learning.

If I make a bracelet with a single strand of wire and beads, or strung or knotted beads, there's no problem with the clasp. However, if I make a wide bracelet, I have a choice of putting one clasp in the middle of the end or two clasps, one at the top and one at the bottom. But the wrist is narrower near the hand and wider as it progresses towards the elbow. Or at least mine is. Most of the examples of bracelets in books and magazines have one or two buttons or beads with loops to fasten the bracelet, but I don't like that solution. I want something more professional looking. And, of course, ideally I'd like to make my own clasps. I'm working on it and my unconscious mind is working on it, too, I hope.

Today a friend came to sit next to me at my table and work on some jewelry. I enjoy having her company. I like my work, and I don't mind working alone, but it's nice to have company at times. And it's nice to discuss ideas and projects. That's one of the most valuable things about being where we are: having interaction with other artists. I know that when I worked in the computer field, I always spent time talking to other people who were knowledgeable about computers. I still do that. Thank goodness I can talk to Philip about computers, and there are lots of artists to talk to as well.

There weren't many visitors in the Village today, but one woman spent time watching us work and commented that she found it so interesting to see how each artist organizes their space and their materials as well as doing their work. She asked me about whether all beads were strung with a thread and needle. So I explained that it is only for some types of jewelry making, specifically beadwork or beadweaving. Those are the kinds of things we take for granted, but visitors frequently have questions. I enjoy explaining my work to visitors.

No comments: