Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Dead Sea Scrolls Opening


Here's a shot I took from my vantage point of the demonstration booths at the Dead Sea Scrolls gala that took place this evening. It was a fun event, people coming around to ask us questions about our work and watching us work. And we of course told them that we could be seen working in our studios across the street in Spanish Village.
There were two camels beautiful dressed in red paisley shawls and they posed with the guests for photos. They seemed very docile and use to being around people. They arrived at the party in a trailer, so they didn't just walk over from the Zoo, if they even came from the Zoo. I think they probably came from Rent-A-Camel. They didn't seem like wild animals. Well, that is, camels aren't really wild, except the ones that were left in Australia after the automobile replaced them. But I think the ones at the Zoo are probably ones that are more unusual, not just the garden variety camel.
I spent time earlier today preparing the clay pendants in preparation for carving them this evening. Usually I do them the day before, but I was very busy yesterday. So this morning I created them and spread them out in the sun on my outside table. That worked just fine. As soon as they no long felt damp to the touch, I wrapped them in a plastic bag and stored them in a box. I hope I'll still be able to work on them Friday and that they won't be too dry. I made about 25 of them and I only worked on three this evening.
I tried a different kind of clay, something called B Mix which is part porcelain and part something else. I like working with it. I had a little trouble in the beginning and broke three pieces, but then I was okay with it. It's very smooth clay, very easy to carve. I could spend hours on one pieces. I mentioned that to one of the other artists, and she said, "go ahead. If you like doing it, just keep going. Spend as much time as you like." So I guess I will. It's so much fun making the lines all smooth and creating different levels of casrving.
Well, I'm ready for my day off tomorrow with out of town family members who are visiting. They want to see my studio, so I'm spending a little time straightening things up, but not enough. On the other hand, I'm getting tired and it's time to go home to get my beauty rest.

No comments: