Friday, June 22, 2007

Working Towards Various Goals



Here's a photo of some of the necklaces I've been working on for the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit at the Natural History Museum. There are two parties next week, on Wednesday and Thursday nights. The artists here at Spanish Village who can demonstrate art or crafts that date back to the period of the writing of the Dead Sea Scrolls have been invited to the Museum for the two opening nights. I'm going to take some clay pendants that I will have made the day before and carve them each night. I have also been doing enameling, but that's not a craft I can demonstrate over there.

Anyway, I went to get some stones from Jon to use for carving. Currently I use an agate burnisher which I love, but it's a modern tool, or at least the one I use was made recently. Jon has been taking classes at the Mineral and Gem Society next door, learnng how to make cabachons and now facetting. I thought he might have some large, partially shaped rocks that I could use, ones that look as though they could have been made 2000 years ago or so. And we came up with some from his pile of rocks. I'll get out some clay tomorrow and try to make something, to see if one or some of the stones will work.

I'm starting to get some things done that I've wanted to do for awhile now. I made more business cards, printed flyers to go with my enamel pendants, started my website, worked on additional text for my website, took some photos of my jewelry, and thought about writing a mission statement and designing a logo. I want to make sure I have plenty of brochures/flyers and business cards for the event next week. And I guess I need to keep cards in my studio and outside on my worktable too. People do take them. I don't know if that helps, but maybe a little bit. I suppose it gives me a serious/professional look.

No comments: