Friday, June 29, 2007

New Beginnings


This is Zoie. She's the daughter of one of the artists here at Spanish Village. She was born at the begining of March. Her father is a wonderful clay sculptor whose public art projects are all around San Diego and other places as well. When we ask him if she's going to be an artist, he says, "no, a rock star."
I took this photo about 15 minutes ago with my cellphone, uploaded it to the cellphone provider's site and downloaded it to my hard drive of my studio computer through the wireless network that Philip has set up here at the Village. Who would have imagined such a thing when I was working for the military and using that old text based internet connection. That was in the 1980's. It does seem like a long ago now especially by computer standards.
Today the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit opens to the public. There's talk about parking problems, but I think we won't really know until time goes on, and we see what's happening. All of us who participated in the opening gala have received invitations to go and see the exhibit on Monday night. I have tickets for next Friday, July 6, so I'll have a chance to see it twice. Then the exhibit changes again in September or October I think. I'm not sure. But I'm very anxious to see it and maybe get some book on artwork that dates to the period. Right now, I'm trying to do as much research as I can, but I haven't found a whole lot of information.
I like preparing for a special event, because it frequently causes me to stretch artistically. Lots of other artists have said the same thing. If you have a show coming up, you get busy and made pieces that relate or you frame work that's been sitting around. I've been trying for a more ethnic look. It's been fun for me. I don't know what kind of response I'll received.
I always look forward to the weekends, because that's when I concentrate all my effort on artwork. During the week, I take time to read my email and respond to it. As the Recording Secretary of Spanish Village, I have various duties which include forwarding announcements to the general membership. But now I think I'm finished for the week, and it's time for art. One thing I did do this morning was order some enameling supplies.

No comments: