Monday, June 25, 2007

So Much To Do


Here are some of the pendants I've made out of clay then fired. I made that large fish in the center into a necklace and I've been wearing it for several days. People have complimented it. I tried a different style of closure on the cord I used for the pendant, so I need to wear if to make sure it holds up. So far it seems fine.
I do try to pay attention to people's comments about my jewelry. Of course it's nice to have the compliments, but some pieces get more compliments than others. I never got any compliments on my first enamel pendant, but fortunately I didn't let that stop me in this case. I did get feedback from one of the artists saying that she thought I should come up with some more interesting shapes, and her advice turned out to be excellent. I now spend a great deal of time on the shapes of my enamel pendants and on my ceramic ones as well.
One of the other clay artists gave me a piece of clay today, some that is very buttery and has very little grit in it. I think it will be good for carving. He said I could carve fine, delicate lines. That would be good, at least to try it. I've tried several different ones and so far the one I like best is called Bruce's White. I don't know if that's a standard type or if it's a name our local store has given it. But this new one is part porcelain, so it should be nice. I hope so because that's what I'm going to use for my demonstration on Wednesday night.
I spent the day attempting to clean up my studio, and actually it looks pretty good, I thnk. Recently I've been getting some new divided boxes to put things in. That way, I can use a lot more of my shelf space. I had gotten some little chests of drawers, but they weren't very efficient. The boxes are better because I can sort through them, looking in each one, and then I can take the ones I want and carry them outside when I'm working out there. It's handy. Then all the boxes can be stacked up on the shelf at the end of the day, if I have the energy.
Tomorrow and Thursday are my days off. My plan is to write in my blog on the days I work, but not on the days I'm off. That way, I'll continue to write, but it won't be so much work to take care of. Sometimes it takes me an hour to write an entry, sometimes less.

No comments: