Sunday, June 24, 2007

Weekend Ends



Here is a photo of lots of necklaces. I've made almost all of them in the last several weeks, in preparation for the Dead Sea Scrolls Exhibit at the San Diego Natural History Museum. I've enjoyed making them, because they're a departure for me from my usual style. For one thing, they are all strung necklaces as opposed to the ones I make using gold-filled or silver wire.

The advantage is that I can use beads that have larger holes in them. They slide down over the bent wire, but when they're all strung together on a "string" it doesn't matter how large the hole is. That is, it doesn't matter unless the holes are so large that they cover smaller beads that are strung next to them. But actually that can be a special effect itself. I mended a necklace that was made that way. It was nice the way the beads moved back and forth on the small ones underneath, runninginto larger beads spaced intermittently along the strand.

Aside from stringing beads, I've been working on the ceramic pendants, painting them and then washing them to see if the paint comes off. And the bad news is that it does. Philip suggested that I cover them with a matte finish spray. I think that's what I may have to do. I don't want someone to wear one of my necklaces in the rain and have the color come off on their clothes. That wouldn't be good for business. Of course, in San Diego we have so little rain. But still, I don't want to take a chance.

It's been a lovely sunny weekend. There weren't a whole lot of visitors in the Village, but everyone who walked by seemed interested in my jewelry. I guess complements are better than nothing, although of course they don't pay the bills. Oh, well. I'm glad people like my work.

No comments: