Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Lines Of Beads





Here's a bracelet I made this weekend. It took me about 12 hours to make. In this shot, it's only about three quarters done, maybe somewhat more. It has several design problems. I wound up making it a little too long. I could shorten it, or just keep it for myself. And the clasp arrangement isn't quite right.

Clasps are a problem. I don't want to spend so much money on clasps that I tie up all my capital in clasps, but I also don't want them to be cheap ones that make the jewelry look as though it were made by a hobbyist. I want it to look professional. So I spend a great deal of time thinking about and attempting to design clasps.

The idea I had for this bracelet didn't work very well, because the wire was too thin. But it couldn't have been thicker and fit through the beads. However, I found another idea for a clasp in one of the books I have. I'll try it on the next bracelet. Actually, the second one is getting close to being done. It's not as wide as this one, so it goes faster, and I think I'm getting better and faster as time progresses.

Today was my day off, but I did spend some time looking at bead books in one of the bookstores near me, hoping to find something to really inspire me. I wasn't terribly successful, but I got one that seems interesting. And I've been spending time in the evening looking through the bead books. There are so many and each time I look I see something new and different that I didn't register before.

No comments: