Friday, September 21, 2007

Working Away



Here's a photo that I changed the color of. It is a photo of one of my etching plates with the ground still on it, before I etched it. I used PhotoShop to change the colors. I admit I'm partial to pink and green. I guess I'm really a girl at heart, no matter how much I want to think I'm a liberated woman.

Anyway, my idea is to take some of my etching photos like this one and turn them into greeting cards and include my poems on them, or maybe just portions of my poems. I know that everyone here at Spanish Village who has had greeting cards has ultimately stopped carrying them. Some of the artists have said that people will buy a card rather than a painting. And some say it takes too long to assemble them. But my purpose for making and selling them would be to look at them as a vehicle for my poetry and my etchings which almost never sell in my studio anyway.

I started another blog called mgEspe in which I'm using my poetry and some of the photographs. I'll go on with it. I really like blogging even if it's not the best way to publish my writing. But I like having a presence on the web and it's certainly easier than having a website at this point. Well, that is, it's easier than creating a new website for my poetry, an idea I had quite a long time ago but never put into practice.

I tried to get online last night, but for some reason I couldn't connect. However, Philip pointed out to me the other day that there was a little open spot on the side of my computer. It was for the little anntenae on the side. I found it in the bottom of my carrying case this morning. So it may have affected my ability to connect at home. Maybe not though because I connected at work and also at my parents' house. So I don't know what the problem is.

I spent yesterday morning buying beads. I went three different places to find everything that I needed. I'm still working on my amulet purse. I have sewn the sides up and added a flap although I want to make the flap longer. Then I'm thinking of adding a rivoli for embellishment. Rivolis are crystals that are essentially one sided and round with facetting like a gemstone, sort of. I have been seeing them in some of the magazines and books and wanted to try attaching some to a project using a peyote bead bezel. Then I also want to add fringe to my bag and make a strap to hang it from. I've put 25 hours into it already, and I can't say how much longer it will take to finish it. It's for me, but I'd like to make more of them. They're not cost effective, but I'd still like to make them.

No comments: