Monday, September 24, 2007

Recognizing the Omphalos



Here's a photo I took when I first arrived at Spanish Village on Saturday morning. It had rained some in the night, and it rained about 10:30 that morning as well, for about half an hour. I spent the day inside my studio, partly because it rained early, but also because I forgot to take my chair in and it was wet. I had taken it in on Wednesday when I took down both umbrellas, but then I brought it out.

By the time I was ready to leave on Saturday, it was dry. Then there was talk of more rain Saturday night, but there wasn't any, and so yesterday I could sit in it with no problem. It's been cool, though. Now they're predicting that we might have some more warmer weather, but my table is now in the shade almost all day. Several people have asked me about my umbrellas, but I think I might leave them inside until next year.

One idea I had today was that I should get Jon to put a post on my table, so I could hang a lamp from it. I could use it on cloudy days and it might make me more noticeable. Certainly, I can bring a lamp out from inside, but it might be nice to have one already there that I could just plug into my extension cord that reaches the table. Normally I use it for my computer and printer, but there's no reason why I couldn't have a lamp as well. It might add a cozy feeling to a dreary day. But the fact remains that it's getting cooler and the days are getting shorter. This is the third or fourth day in a row when I sat outside and thought about getting my sweatshirt to put on.

Meanwhile, I'm still working on my amulet purse. I've mostly finished the purse itself, and this weekend was spent working on the strap. However, I didn't work as many hours on it as I did last weekend. For one thing, when I sat inside on Saturday, I was distracted by the computer. I spent time looking for bead and cross-stitch patterns. I wasn't very successful, but I always feel as though I need to look anyway.

On Saturday a friend of mine was looking at my etchings and drawings and said she say all kinds of things in them. Later she wrote me an email that said some of the structures reminded her of open-pit diamond mines and also of an omphalos. Omphalos is the Greek word for navel. Delphi was located on the center or navel of the earth, and there are photographs of the omphalos that was located at Delphi. It's the center of the earth, of life, the beginning.

In any case, her comments inspired me to bring them out and work on them some more. I'd like to incorporate the omphalos in my enameling and beadwork as well as the etching. So much to do, so many directions to explore.

No comments: