Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Website In the Sky


Here's a photo I took on Saturday. No, actually it was on Friday when the weather was still nice. It is sky writing and it says; "Shop Zappos.com." It turns out that Zappos sells athletic shoes among other things. I assumed that it had something to do with the Red Bull air races that were taking place in San Diego Harbor. But I suppose it may not have unless they thought the folks at the races would be in their target audience. I don't know whether they would be. Seeing the sky writing is kind of like the pair of shoes I saw that had a website written on the insole. The internet seems to be here to stay. I don't anybody can argue with that.

Philip and I talked about my website, about updating it. I need to start watching the tutorials online so I can learn to use Web Expressions. I thought that I would be able to give up the computer by now, but technology is sucking me back in. And I admit, I do enjoy it on a certain level. There's certainly a great deal more that we can do these days compared to the days when the PC had a text-based interface. Now everything is so pretty and decorative.

Today is one of my days off from the studio, so I went visiting. My cousin, who is about 12 years older than me, was showing me some artwork she had found on the internet. She purchased a very interesting original linoleum print at the swap meet and then proceeded to research it online. And she spent time talking about how wonderful the internet is for doing research. She's right, of course, but I couldn't help thinking that those of us who are older aren't as likely to feel very comfortable or knowledgeable about the computer. So she's doing very well, I'd say. I was fortunate to learn myself when I worked for the military.

The reason I went to visit my cousin originally was to pick up some beads that she found when she was doing some cleaning out of things. I'm happy to have them because they're not my typical style. It's always nice to work with something that you might not have picked out for yourself. I use to enjoy going shopping with a friend of mine who always managed to direct my attention to something that I wouldn't have noticed on my own. For an artist, I feel remarkably unobservant at times.

Besides going to get beads from my cousin, I suppose this was a day when I spent almost no time on my artwork or shopping for supplies. It was nice, actually. I really feel like I had a day off for a change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ZAPPOS ROCKS!! THE BEST PLACE TO BUY SHOES -- SERIOUSLY< EVERY TIME IHAVE EVER USED THEM THEY HAVE BLOWN ME AWAY WITH SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM..

PS NICE PHOTO