Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Back To Etchings









Here's a photo of a portion of the etching I'm currently working on. My cellphone camera isn't really good enough to take an excellent, clear photo, but it does give some idea. All of the lines that appear white or light are the places where I have removed the asphaltum from the plate and exposed the copper underneath. When I eventually put the plate in the ferric chloride, the exposed copper will be eaten away and grooves will be created. The grooves will hold the ink and the printing press will press the paper down onto the plate and pick up the ink in the grooves.

I'm very excited about the fact that I'm able to recreate at least a portion of the etching process in my studio. I currently don't have a printing press, but when I've prepared some plates, I'll take them to a friend's house and use his press to print them. If everything continues to go well, I might consider eventually getting my own press and printing etchings a relief prints at the Village. I think being able to print them so that people can watch will give them a better understanding of etchings in general. The other thing I need to do eventually is create a story board that explains the whole process and has some photos of the process as well.

I spent most of the day working on the plate pictured above. I finished up a necklace when I first arrived and then started on the plate. I feel as though I've made quite a lot of progress. In the past, creating an etching like that would have taken me all week, but I can see that two or three concentrated days may be sufficient to complete each one. I've got 10 plates altogether. I'm sure I won't get them all done by the time I go to my friend's to print them, but I'll aim for four to six. That shouldn't be a problem. I've got four sketches already, including the one I'm working on now.

Besides using the etched copper plates to print etchings, I'd like to create etched copper to use in making jewelry. I've already taken some of my zinc plates and turned them into jewelry. And of course the copper is a natural. They'd be wonderful bracelets, pins, and pendants. Something to aim for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested