Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Printmaking - My First Medium











Here's my wall with some of my etchings hung up. My friend put screws in the wall and so I'll be able to start with the ones I have there now and then change them around after awhile. I have a large number of etchings and I don't have room to display them all, but I can frame more of them and keep them in the corner of the studio. Also, I have several large portfolios of etchings as well. Actually what I'd like to do is get a flat file. Another artist in the Village says she has one for sale, and I might consider getting it from here. I've wanted one for a very long time, even before I was a printmaker. Actually, I'm not even sure why I wanted one, except that they appeal to me.

It's funny that no sooner had I finished hanging up my etchings when an artist who's a friend came by to give me a lecture about getting back to my etching. He says anyone can make jewelry, and that I shouldn't be wasting time on it. Printmaking was the medium with which I first juried into the Village.

Anyway, I challenged him to let me use his press that he has in his garage, and he took me up on it. So I will get back to doing some etching. The ones I have hanging on my wall now are four or five years old and I'd like to have some new ones. I'm determined that I'm not going to put artwork on my walls and leave it there for 20 years and never change it. Changing is important.

I'm actually getting to the point where I can put some of my jewelry back as well, and then I can bring it out and change it. That way, it looks fresh. Also, there's something about changing things around that frees up the energy and helps people see things and buy them when they wouldn't otherwise.

I'm really very happy with my studio. It still needs more work, but I think it's becoming an extremely pleasant working environment. I try looking at it to see how it looks and to make changes and continue to get everything organized. I'll get there eventually. I'm actually in good shape already.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

I like it! Good job. Go on.
»