Thursday, March 30, 2006

Trying To Keep To a Schedule

I started another knotted necklace today, one made of Peruvian opals. The stones are beautiful. They remind me of pink Chinese turquoise, if there were such a thing. I am finding that creating a knotted necklace is a more time consuming project than I had hoped it might be. The materials are less expensive, the silk so much cheaper than the gold-filled wire, and the time is probably half, but I can see that I can't turn out a whole lot of knotted necklaces in one day, certainly not long ones. Even my former jewelry teacher is amazed when I showed her all the little jasper hearts that I had knotted together.

There are almost 300 beads in the Peruvian opal necklace. I've finished half of knotting, but the project took me most of my five-hour day to get to that point. Once I begin knotting, I can go fairly quickly, but any necklace takes time to set up. So thinking I could make the whole necklace in one day was a pipe dream. Of course, like anything, after I've done a few more, I'll be able to work faster, make more progress. I'm not there yet. So, I can't really set a specific schedule for myself, a quota of how many pieces I can make in a week, for example. I'll work toward that though, because I find it helps me to have a written goal. That way I can accomplish what I want to.

The carpenter from the City didn't make it over to the studio today, so I assume he won't start until next week sometime. Then they will paint for me, but I have to put up the lights first, so I can see the whole process is probably going to take at least another two weeks. Oh, well, someday I can look back and laugh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»