Saturday, August 12, 2006

Etching Problems








Here's a photo of a necklace I made today. As my friend who sold me the camera said, the cellphone doesn't take a very good photo, and this is an example of that. It's not very good at all. But I'm currently having a problem with my "new" camera, getting the batteries to charge, so I'm still using the cellphone for now.

Anyway, you get the idea of a large glass heart pendant. The necklace itself is made of tube shaped amethyst glass beads, round, bright green crystals, and small freshwater pearls. The combination complements the heart which is amethyst with some white, gold foil, and copper in it. The heart looks as though it could be Venetian glass, but I'm sure it isn't. It was too inexpensive. It must have come from China. I'll wear it myself for awhile, to determine whether it can support the weight of the pendant.

I actually wound up spending the whole day making jewelry. I also attempted to etch one of the copper plates I had prepared, but the etching solution didn't etch it. It may be that it has lost it's strength, although I used it just the other day to etch brass. Or there may be the problem of trying to etch brass and copper in the same bath, albeit at different times. Fortunately I ordered some more etching solution which arrived yesterday.

This evening I bought another glass dish to etch in, and tomorrow I'll put new solution in it and try the copper plate again. I have three that I want to etch tomorrow in preparation for printing on Monday. There's a great deal to do. I actually would like to have one more plate ready to etch. That would mean I'd have five new plates, four copper and one brass. But it also means I'll need eight hours if I'm going to etch four more plates. I'll have to see how I make out. If I go in early, I can get three done during the day.

No comments: