Sunday, August 27, 2006

More People But . . .










Here's a photo I took while sitting at my worktable outside. In the middle, up a little, you can see some yellow leaves. I'm afraid that's the beginning of autumn. As the days progress, all the leaves will eventually fall off and many of them will land on the walk outside my studio. This is not my favorite time of year. However, here in San Diego, we normally have pleasant weather through the end of October, so we still have two more months of pleasant days. And next year, I think, we will have daylight savings until December. That will be nice. It will mean it won't be quite so dark so early. Yesterday, a woman said to me, "you're very lucky; you have a very nice place to work." And she's correct. I feel as though I've taken full advantage of the summer weather, sitting outside the way I do. I hate to have the summer pass by without taking time to enjoy being out in the sunshine.

Today was not as slow as last weekend, but there still didn't seem to be as many people as I remember in past summers. It is a little cooler though, and the nice climate brings people to the Park. John, the guy who rides around collecting cans and bottles, said there were lots of parties of people further down. He likes that because he gets lots of cans.

I worked on jewelry, making a silver and jade necklace and then making a jade one that is knotted on silk. When I make knotted necklaces, they don't take as long and aren't as expensive to create. As a result, I can sell them for a better price. But on the other hand, the gold and silver make the stones look so lovely. The knotting is nice, to take a strand of semi-precious stones and knot them like a strand of pearls. I realized from the knotting I did today that in the past I've probably been using silk that was too thick. It takes time and stretching to get the strand to hang nicely. Today I had no problem. It's also possible that some of the "silk" that I'm buying is in fact not silk. I'm going to have to pay better attention. There's so much to learn. What do they say: there's no substitute for experience? I agree.

No comments: