Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Late Night Delivery









Here's a present I found on the edge of my garden wall this morning. Jon, one of the other artists at Spanish Village left them for me, two circuit boards from telephones and a rubber keypad as well. I was especially touched because he went on vacation today, and he wanted me to have them. He must have left them there late last night. He knows I like to create jewelry and other pieces by assembling old computer parts and scrap metal. Some of the circuit boards are very pretty and will make nice pins and pendants. I even made a pair of earrings out of two small ones.

After working out at the gym this morning, I stopped by Industrial Metal Supply to get some scrap copper for etchings. When I buy it at the art store, it's $65 for an 18 by 24 inch piece. At the metal supplier, it's sold by the pound and I can get about the same amount, sometimes a thinner gauge, for around $3 a pound, or about $6 0r $7 for the same amount. The pieces I got this morning were relatively scratch free. I spent some time with a plastic brillo pad and cleaned them up sufficiently to use. Tomorrow I'll degrease them with French chalk and ammonia. Then I'll put hard ground on them and be ready to create four more etchings. At this point, I didn't buy any more brass to etch until I try the one piece that I have already completed. I want to compare the two metals.

I spent time working on jewelry as well. I like having more than one project to work on, each one different. I haven't created any pieces with pieces of scrap and circuit boards or fuses recently, but last night I did stop to get a tumbler so that I can smooth out the roughness of the scraps and polish them to fine patina. The tumbler will make anything look wonderful. Well, at least a whole lot better.

No comments: