Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Photo Etching





Here's a photo I look at school. I'm such a warm-weather person that I didn't realize there is such a thing as a desiduous vine. But this vine that grows all over one end of the building, clinging to the sides loses its leaves. I have witnessed this phenomenon when I've taken the class in the past. I suppose it's a kind of ornamental grape, because it does have a little dark berry on it. Anyway, it grows in a very regular pattern up the side of the building. You can't really see the pattern here, but it looks like rows of leaves, as though they have been arranged by a computer, as though they are a canned pattern from PhotoShop or Windows or something.

I did go to printmaking class today. The professor was absent. He was having eye surgery. He'll be back on Thursday. We had a substitute, another instructor who teaches color theory. She was grading papers, and she explained the exercise to one of the students. Many people over the years have recommended the color theory class. Apparently it takes a great deal of work, but the rewards are large as well. I wouldn't mind taking it at some point. I'd also like to take the book arts class. It's just a matter of finding the time. I'm struggling with that right now.

I printed another edition of the photo etched plate I printed week before last. I wanted to print it again because it was difficult to wipe properly and prints didn't look the same. This time around, I was more careful about how I wiped the extra ink from the plate before I printed it each time. They look much better now. I'm hoping I can prepare another one of my photos to etch on Thursday. It depends on how much time I can snatch for myself from the performance of Spanish Village business. We have another special board meeting tomorrow morning, and I'm guess there will be more work for me. Oh, well. Someday I'll catch up, I hope.

No comments: