Saturday, November 25, 2006

Taking Extra Care Of Details






Here's a photo I took this morning. It turned out fairly well, except for the blur at the bottom which, I'm guessing, is part of my finger. But anyway, you can finally see the studio across from me. It's Studio 19, and it belongs to Andy, the glassblower. You can see part of the glassblowing platform, too, with the awning over it. I got here so early this morning that she hadn't arrived yet. But I put out all my stands of jewelry and a variety of other items as well. Even though I have my own studio, I still have to do a lot of carrying back and forth to get everything I need outside. And I almost always forget one or two things and have to go back. But it's better than leaving them at home. That's one of the really nice features of having my own studio. I leave almost everything here. I don't try to take stuff back and forth.

There were lots of people in the Park again today, mostly just looking. I spent the time working on some pearl bracelets and then went back to working on my 200+ pearl necklace. It's still not finished. But I'm going to wear it when I go out this evening for dinner. Hopefully I can get it finished tomorrow. Even in it's unfinished state I've gotten lots of compliments for it. The pearls are so beautiful, extremely lusuturous. Of course that the nice thing about making jewelry. I can wear it myself. And actually, I try to, so that I know whether it functions properly. One of the pearls fell off yesterday. When I put it on, I was skeptical, the hole was drilled so close to the edge. It's lucky I discovered the problem and could replace it. I would feel terrible if it came off after someone purchased it.

I suppose that's one of my biggest worries, that someone will buy something that's somehow defective. I like to make sure everything is working properly and is well made. It makes me nervous sometimes when someone inspects my work. I feel they might find it wanting. So, I suppose, that's why I'm so conscious of wearing all the jewelry. I've had a few pieces that have developed problems. Some of my hand-made clasps have been properly bent and the piece has come off. Also, several times the manufactured clasp that I've purchased has given up or not closed properly. I don't like that to happen. When someone buys one of my pieces, I want them to wear it and enjoy it, not wind up being frustrated.

No comments: