Sunday, November 19, 2006

Working and Talking, Talking and Working








Here's a photo I took early this morning, looking towards the back parking lot. You can see that already the day was clear and the sun shining. It turned out to be quite warm today, unseasonably so. I think it was about 78 degrees. When we get air flowing from the desert this time of year, it can be very warm. I think the air/light in this photo even looks like the desert, a sort of dry crispness. Usually if we have air flowing from the water, everything is sort of misty and out of focus. I was looking at the weather forecast on my cellphone and the prediction is 64 degrees on Thanksgiving. That's much more typical. If it's foggy that day, maybe I'll get up early and come over to the Village to take more photos.

Today was a pleasant day in the Village although there were very few people here. I did explain the etching process to two women who were here before 11:00, the hour at which we're required to be open. And this afternoon I explained how freshwater pearls are cultivated, and how I use gold wire to join them together. A woman pointed out the fact when they're strung on silk, you have to get them re-strung every few years. She said she thought the wire is better in that regard. Yes, she's right, but really there's nothing like a beautiful strand of pearls neatly knotted.

My student was here again working on another necklace. She claims that her small motor skills aren't very good, but she's doing fine. I see an improvement in just one day. Yesterday she was confused by all the steps and all the tools required to bend and cut the wire, but today she was fine working on her own, and I didn't need to answer any questions. I'm happy to see her succeeding. Now she's made two necklaces. I told her to go home and compare the workmanship. I'm sure she'll see a difference, and that will be encouraging for her.

So today was a day for working. I made three necklaces. But mostly it was a day for interacting with others, visitors and artists alike. And that's one of the real benefits of being here at Spanish Village: interacting with people. I would much rather be here working on my artwork than at home by myself. I just have to discipline myself a little bit not to spend too much time talking without working. And usually it's not a problem.

No comments: