Thursday, November 09, 2006

Technology Opens More Options






Here's another photo of the agave stalks. You can't see from the photo, but the one on the left is covered with aphids according to Jon. I hope the other won't become infected too. However, I suppose that's why both of them haven't grown and bloomed as soon as they might have. On the other hand, I have no idea how long it really takes under normal conditions.

I mentioned to Jon that if I tilt the camera so the building looks straight, then the palm tree is on a slant, and if I tilt the building . . . Jon said, "how can you tilt the building?'' Well, of course, I mean tilt it as it aligns or doesn't align with the edge of the photo. Anyway, everything tilts one way or the other. Of course that's what you learn when you study perspective. But if you painted what you really see, people would think it is wrong. That's why photography can never replace painting or drawing. They're show something different. I learned that when I took a plein air painting class. You really see that what you're painting, what looks right to the eye is not what shows up on the camera screen.

I did take a photo that I took with my phone to my printmaking class. The professor asked me if I had drawn it, and I said no, that I had manipulated it in PhotoShop. I turned it into a photo etching. It turned out well, but I think I need to try a series of them, to really get a feel for the process. I do think that taking photos of Spanish Village and other parts of Balboa Park would be a nice way to do a series of prints.

I showed him the printouts of the photos and scans of my etching plates with the resist still on them. He was interested although he said I should try printing on good rag paper, not photocopy paper. That way, the paper will last. Rag paper, actually made with cotton, is archival and will last. Photocopy paper will not. The ink in my printer is long lasting, but not archival, according to Philip. He has a new printer that prints a much larger size. He'll use it for his photos; it does have archival ink. He said he would print pieces for me. And he also has a printer that prints up to 13 inches by 19 inches which he might consider selling to me at a later time. I think I'd like having it. Then I could print some pieces myself as long as they aren't overly large.

No comments: