Monday, November 06, 2006

Would An Apron Make Me More Efficient?







Here's a photo of my display table in my studio. It has lots of display stands on it. However, when I sit and work outside on weekends, I take most of it outside with me. That leaves the studio rather bare of jewelry at least. So I'm thinking about getting more display stands so that I can keep a number of them inside even when I'm outside. That way if people do walk into the studio, it still looks presentable. I don't get a great deal of traffic inside, but I do get some. And last weekend a woman chose a necklace that she found inside.

Display is, or can be, tricky. When I make a new piece, necklace or bracelet, I wear it. That way I know whether it is constructed properly and the clasp works, etc. And when I wear the various pieces, I always get compliments on them. But frequently, when I put them on the display stands, they aren't really shown off to their best. For example, if I make a necklace out of tourmaline, a stone I particularly like, it turns out rather dark. Against a pale neck, mine or someone else's, it's fine, but displayed on black velvet, it doesn't show up nearly as well. I've considered other colors besides black, but the other color of most displays is white. I think that seems too impractical and would likely get grubby very quickly. There's so much dust around here. So I'm sort of in a quandry about my displays. I've thought of making my own out of papier mache, but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Anyway, today will most likely be spent on Spanish Village paperwork, meeting minutes and so forth. There's always something more to do. Maybe late in the day I can make one necklace. I always like to try to make at least one item everyday. I like making things. In fact, I never get tired of it. I'd like to work on some etching, too, but I have on good clothes. I don't want to splash etching solution on my nice shirt and pants. I need an apron. I had an old shirt, but it's at home. Gosh, there are so many things I could use to make my life more efficient. Will I ever get there? Sometimes I wonder.

No comments: