Monday, October 23, 2006

Allowing Words To Last







Here's a photo I took early this morning. It shows the back entrance to Spanish Village, what you see if you come from the direction of the Zoo. The main patio is straight ahead. My studio is in the far right corner of the first sub-patio to the left. The glassblowing platform is there also.

You can see that the sign says Arts & Crafts. I think in the old days we were called Spanish Village Arts & Crafts Association. The Village itself is modeled after an actual village in southern Spain, hence the name. I have never traveled further south than Malaga, Spain, but people who have say the village looks just like the ones over there. It's nice although, unfortunately, people are confused by the name. Some people think it only has Spanish or Mexican import items. I know it works to our detriment. However, we're right on the verge of an advetising champaign that we believe will help us become better known in the community.

Our buildings are leased to us by the City of San Diego. However, Spanish Village Art Center is a corporate entity with officers and a board of directors. With the City's encouragement and blessings, we've been working toward stronger self-governance. In the past, we had a liaison who worked with us, but she is no longer available, so we are solving our own problems. Along those lines, we spent the morning in a special board meeting called to deal with some problems that have arisen. As the Recording Secretary, it's my job to take notes and transcribe the minutes of the meetings into logical form for all the members to read. Today's meeting also required us to write letters to various members. I volunteered for the task because the Corresponding Secretary is out of town, unable to attend this morning's meeting.

So I didn't take any time today to work on my artwork. I've got letters to write and minutes to type up. It takes time, but I actually enjoy doing the job and will most likely continue into the next term even though many of the officers and board members will change.

I left the house this morning wondering what my purpose in life is. Writing letters and transcribing minutes certainly gives me a task that helps me feel I'm doing something worthwhile. I like the idea that my words will live on. That's an advantage we all have on the internet as well. Sometimes I feel I'm just talking into the huge vacuum of cyberspace, but I know that at least a few others look at my words, because they tell me so. Dear reader, bear with me and hopefully I will tell you something you find useful, entertaining, or informative. That's my desire, my goal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"bear with me and hopefully I will tell you something you find useful, entertaining, or informative. That's my desire, my goal."

You are always doing that...just by being you.