Saturday, October 28, 2006

So What Is a Megapixel Anyway?






Here's a photo I took this morning with my new cellphone camera. Last night my old phone turned itself off and didn't come back on when I pushed the "start" button. I knew it wasn't the battery, because that phone has always been really good about holding a charge. However, I knew that it's been long enough since the purchase of my phone that I was eligible for an upgrade with a rebate. So I decided that since I'm going to Los Angeles next week, I'd better take the opportunity to get a new one now. That occupied much of yesterday evening.

Even part of today was taken up with learning about the various features, including taking and uploading photos. This new phone has a camera which produces an image that is 1.3 megapixels. Really, I admit that doesn't make sense to me. I've always understood a pixel to be a little square on the computer screen. My previous camera took photos that were 480 pixels by 640 pixels. If mega means large, does "megapixels" mean large pixels?

Oh, okay, I've done a little research. It seems that 1.3 megapixels is 960 pixels by 1280 pixels. The old camera was 480 by 640 or VGA. Do you remember the term for the VGA monitors? Those were really hot back in the old days. That means the camera on my phone has more pixels on its screen than my old VGA monitor had. Amazing. That really is amazing.

Philip brought in his "old" camera for me to use for taking photos of my jewelry. It's an SLR camera. The pixels on it's screen are 2560 by 1920 pixels. So it has twice as many across and down as my camera does. So it will take a nice photo, very detailed, much better than my phone camera. It has batteries that you can recharge and Philip brought the battery charger that goes with it.

So we're making technological changes and upgrades. The repeater was unplugged so I haven't been able to get on the internet. I find myself getting lazy at times about trying to troubleshoot the problem. There are so many things that can go on. One day the antennea on the router was unplugged. The repeater has been unplugged several times. When the electricity goes out, everything has to be reset. But when it working, it's great, so convenient. I can take photos with my phone, upload them to the my provider's website, download them to my computer, and then upload them to my blog. And I can perform the whole process in a matter of minutes, give or take a little time for internet traffic, etc.

I did work on jewelry a little bit today. I finished a necklace I started during the week, and I started another one. I find that I need to constantly check to make sure I have all the proper materials. I was going to make a necklace from some beads that I bought last weekend, but the holes are very small. I'm out of the really thin wire. So I need to stop and get some tomorrow, especially if I want to take it on my trip. I usually try to take a little something to work on. That's one advantage with making jewelry. I can carry enough materials and supplies to keep me busy for several weeks in a pouch about half the size of a brick, about the size of a small cosmetics purse. It's very convenient.

No comments: