Friday, October 13, 2006

Etchings, Websites, and Weddings






Here's a photo I took this morning in the patio. You can see a new addition to my outside worktable, if you look closely. Jon took the temporary legs off the bottom and added a shelf between the legs and the top of the table. The shelf is surrounded by a "skirt" which looks a little odd right now because of it's pale color. However, we plan to stain it dark like the top of the table and it will look better. Or, the other option is to paint it and the legs a bright color like green or purple. But in either case, I sat at it today and find the height just right for working on my etching plates.

I did work on some etching this afternoon. It's amazing how there's a certain period late in the afternoon when the angle of the sun is just right and it makes the lines so easy to see. At this time of the year, that period is around 3:00 to 5:00, I think. I'm not sure of the exact time, but around then. So ideally I could always work on a plate at that hour.

Aside from doing some etching, I spent time earlier in the day working on some of the information that Philip requested for my website. We've come up with the menu items and have talked about some of the content. This evening I've been working on some content. I've written a bio that includes shows I've entered. I also want to look at my artist's statement again and maybe change it. Then I need to write a description of the etching process. That will be useful for the website, but also for a brochure and/or an explanation to hang on the wall in my studio.

This evening there is a wedding going on here in Spanish Village. There's another one planned for next Saturday. The wedding itself took place right on the edge of our little sub-patio beside the agave plants that have the great tall bloom stalks on them. They set up chairs and put out some carpet to protect the bride's dress. I didn't peak out, so I don't know what they looked like, but it did seem the ceremony was very short. I think it would be nice for it to go on a little longer. But anyway, now they're down at the other end of the patio having dinner and listening to music. A typical wedding. Renting the patio for weddings and other events helps with some of the expenses we incur in running Spanish Village.

No comments: