Saturday, July 08, 2006

Back To Work







Here are some of those misplaced plants, some more refugees. We've tried to put them in locations where they don't get too much direct sunlight. These are in shade now, because it was morning when I took this photo, but they will be in direct sun later in the day. So far they seem okay although the pot in back contains a philodendrum that is probably getting too much light. Giving them lots of water helps.

I spent the day at my outside table, working on jewelry. I still haven't gotten back to my etching plates. I did call the artist who has the printing press, but I haven't heard from him. He may be out of town. So in the meantime, I made three necklaces and a bracelet today. The three necklaces were made using silver chain that I purchased. I cut it at various points and wired it back together with crystals. I like doing that, and of course, because I'm not making every single link myself, I can make a necklace more quickly. Then I don't have to charge as much for them, because there isn't as much labor involved.

One of the Spanish Village artists came to see my studio late this afternoon. She has been a member for a number of years, but she's not in one of the studios, because she works, teaching art classes. In fact, I took several classes from her myself. She teaches painting en plein aire. The term is a French one and it refers to taking paints and canvas outside to a specific location and painting what you see before you. It's a very interesting experience, completely different from painting from memory or from a photograph. I enjoy doing it, and I might consider taking her class again in the fall.

This afternoon, we talked about jewelry and beads, not about painting. I enjoy interacting with the various artists, talking to them about art and just about day-to-day life. It's a nice form of interaction. I had intended to go to the bead store to get more crystals for one of the necklaces I am making, but I decided I could do that tomorrow and that staying to talk was more important for both of us. We spent a pleasant hour sitting in my studio talking.

We talked about my display table among other things. She suggested a multi-tiered display that would give me more room by displaying some items above and at the same time behind other pieces. That's one thing about my studio now is that I don't think the display is very good. I did notice that someone who was in my studio spent time lining up all the necklaces in a row. That was interesting. It was obviously someone who likes things tidy, more so than I do.

While we talked, I did spend some time straightening things up a little. I think tomorrow I'll get out the rest of the copper I have a put asphaltum on it, so I can etch it and use it for copper jewelry. Then I'll put my skillet away on the shelf. It's been sitting on my inside work table for too long now. I'm getting tired of seeing it there. And I am getting traffic into my studio, even when I'm outside. Well, the whole is gradual process. It seems there's so much to do and never enough time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»