Thursday, July 20, 2006

Enjoying the Weather







Here's a photo I took in about 7:00 p.m. this evening. I went back to Spanish Village to deliver a plant that I bought at the grocery store. I did buy some groceries as well, but I found I couldn't resist the palm as well. It was reasonably priced. In this photo you can see the arched window on the left. Further along the wall is a second arched window. My outside work table is located between the two arched windows.

I sat out at my table today and spent the whole day working on etching plates. In a period of four hours, I managed to create a 4 by 6 inch etching on one of the copper plates I had cut. I then started a second piece the same size. I bought a sketchbook that measures 4 by 6 inches, and I've been drawing in it. There are quite a few of the sketches that I think are worth turning into etchings. I'm considering doing a whole series of them, maybe six or eight. I also have a 4 by 4 inch sketchbook with drawings in it, but I seem to have misplaced it.

The weather remains unseasonably warm for us this time of year. Today, however, we did have a nice ocean breeze, and as long as we have one, we are quite comfortable. There were very few visitors in the Village, less so than in previous summers, or so it seems. We'll see what the weekend brings. Today was Opening Day of the horse races at Del Mar, so maybe lots of people went up there. We do find that other events can draw crowds away from the Park.

I was happy just to sit and draw on the copper plates. I really enjoy that process. I took pieces of copper and brass over to the Enamel Guild so I could cut them. I now have an additional four strips of copper that I can make into bracelets. I'll borrow the drill press this weekend and work on them. It occured to me that maybe I could make other items besides bracelets. I thought about getting thick pieces of brass that could be used to make medallions for key rings. I love making something is that is not going to be printed, because I can write on it and not worry about the lettering being backwards, the way it is with a printed etching.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»