Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Ordering Etching Ink










Here's a portion of the etching I worked on today. It will become a bracelet when I've finished with it. The drawing is complete. Now I need to coat the back to protect it from the ferric chloride. But also it's too long to fit in the dish I bought to hold the etching solution. I'll have to go back to the Enamel Guild again and cut the end off. That will make the piece 12 to 13 inches long which gives me plenty of length for a cuff bracelet, bent with a portion overlapping and joined with rivets.

I was searching for something in my bookcase at home and came across a book on metalsmithing. In that book, there are directions for etching metal. Apparently, I could use the ferric chloride to etch brass as well. And the other thing that's interesting is that I can use various other chemicals besides asphaltum as a resist. That ties in with the comment my visitor made on Sunday.

Some of these other types of resist are ordinary chemicals such as nailpolish and spray paint. I have heard that spray paint applied lightly can have the same affect as aquatint. I think I mentioned that several days ago. Anyway, it would be nice to try it. The traditional way to create aquatint is by applying a film of rosin and heating it. The acid seeps down between the particles and bites into the metal. Those tiny bites will hold ink and can be used to create a dark area on the print. The rosin is the same substance used by ballet dancers on their shoes and by gymnists on their hands. It is sticky and melts when heated.

Today was a quiet day in my studio. The glassblowing activities that usually take place right outside my door were suspended today, so I was essentially all alone back in my corner. But I listened to KPBS and NPR on the radio and was fully entertained. I finished the one bracelet. It would be nice if I could work all day and do enough drawing to cover the whole piece of copper, as opposed to having to spend an additional day on it. If I take too much time, that makes the finished item an expensive piece.

While I sat working on the bracelet, the printmaker who has a press came into my studio and sat in the chair opposite my table. We agreed that the best time for both of us to meet and print some etchings would be July 24. That's a Monday, and I'm off. Mondays are better for him, he said. I had just called Illinois and ordered ink before he arrived. The local art store didn't have a very large selection of items. Not many people actually do etchings or have presses. And of course nowadays it's so easy to call and order or use the internet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

Anonymous said...

I find some information here.

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»