Monday, July 24, 2006

Hearing the Rain Bird Again






Here's a close-up photo of one of the philodendron leaves. The white in the center is a whole lot of white, waxy blossoms that dropped down from the palm tree overhead. I heard a little rustling sound while I was sitting at my outside worktable this morning getting ready to go and print some of my etching plates. When I finally got up to go back inside, I noticed the flowers in the creases of the leaves. I'd like to do an etching of a large leaf with small flowers in the middle of it. And while I stood looking at the flowers in the leaf, I heard the rain bird come on again. It was about 10:00 this morning when I heard it. We've had such hot weather, and I'm happy the grounds crew is making sure that everything is well watered.

I spent about three hours this morning working on another etching plate which I did not finish and tearing up my paper in preparation for making prints. When I got to my friends house, I soaked it in a water bath to soften it. Then right before printing, you take the paper out and blot it between two blotters. That way it's damp but not wet when you put it through the press.

I printed four plates that are intended to be etchings and an additional eight plates that are intended to be made into jewelry. Four of those were out of brass. They turned out very well, and I like the idea of cutting the plates and then printing the pieces reassembled. The disadvantage is that if the pieces are small and/or long and thin, they are hard to prepare for printing. But I managed to do it.

I think it's been two years since I printed any etchings. I admit, it was nice to get back and do it. I thought I was going to hate doing it, but it was very enjoyable. I'd like to do it some more. I have several friends who have printing presses. Particularly one of my single friends has been begging me to go over to her house and use her press with her. I'm definitely going to call her about doing so. It was great fun,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»