Monday, July 31, 2006

Day Off After the Party






Here's a photo detail of one of the sketches I'm working on for my current series of etchings. This group will be on copper plates that are 5 inches by 8 inches. I'm attempting to create a more three-dimensional look to my work. Also, I intend to experiment with some backgrounds based on what I've learned about the false biting I've been getting. I'd like to see if I could get it intentionally. However, I need to do a little bit more experimenting with the process.

I have the day off today, but I spent most of it doing errands related to the studio. I went down to K-Surplus in National City where they have all kinds of metal bolts, screws, bearings, washers, and who knows what else. Things that look interesting to me but that I can't identify. I found some more roller bearings and bronze washers that I had purchased before. They make nice "beads" for necklaces. I thought especially the bronze ones would make a nice chain when combined with some gold-filled wire.

Later I went to another store where I got a cheese shaker to put French chalk in and a bottle with a spout to store ammonia in. I can carry those down to the ladies room where I can use the sink to de-grease my etching plates. I think that's the problem I'm having is not getting rid of the grease. Now I just need to get some cotton balls to use to clean off the plates. Well, maybe tomorrow I'll use paper towels if I don't have a chance to pick up some cotton balls.

As I was driving around in my car today, it occured to me that I should make a list. Well, really, I know that. I just don't seem to be doing that for some reason. Maybe it's because I don't think the whole process through at one time. I just concentrate on one part of it. Well, certainly that makes getting organized so drawn out, but by doing without the various items, I now see the value of having them. I don't just take them for granted the way I did when I was in a classroom environment where everything was provided for me.

Last night some of us went to a birthday party given for Andy, my next door neighbor, the glassblower. Her birthday is actually next weekend, but we celebrated early. I made her a copper key tag with some words etched on the back. It turned out fairly well, but it was during the process of making it that I realized what my problem was with the grease. I also think there a possibility that using the ammonia to neutralize the etching solution is important as well.

No comments: