Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Working On the Fourth






Here's a photo of part of a page in one of my sketchbooks. I like to create my sketches on a paper size that matches the copper plate for the etching. So I have a sketchbook that is 4 inches by 4 inches for the small plates. I have one that's 4 inches by 6 inches for the somewhat larger plates. Then for the 7 by 9 and the 9 by 9, I have larger sketchbooks that I rule off to the proper size. One of the things I've fiddled around with is scanning my sketches into my computer and then manipulating the sizes in a program like PhotoShop. But for now, I'm just going to stick with the one to one size. Later I can play around with different sizes.

So I spent time today working on sketches for smaller plates. I also spent time working on the plates I've started already. I think the 7 by 9 inch one is almost finished. However, I did have another idea today while I was working. It occurred to me that I might be able to take another sketch and put it behind the main one to create an illusion of depth, more so than what I already have. So I'll work on that some tomorrow. I think it would add interest to the plates. That way, it would look as though there are more plants in the background.

I also spent time today working on a multi-strand chain necklace. I made it three strands, but I can see the possibility of making it six or eight or even twelve or more strands. I suppose it's only limited by how much gold-filled chain I want to buy and put together. Then of course it's no longer a light summer necklace to just add a little sparkle. On the other hand, I like the idea of engineering something a little more complex than the simple single strand necklaces I've been creating for the last six months or more.

The other thing I want to do is some etching on copper that will never be printed on paper but will be cut up and made into bracelets. I'll have to look in my box in my studio and see if I have some large pieces I can etch and then cut up. I'm pretty sure I have some. I'd like to put asphaltum on them before I pack away my skillet which is currently sitting on my work table.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»