Friday, September 22, 2006

Creating A Simple Package





Here's a photo I took this afternoon looking down into the sub-patio where the children's clay classes are held in the summer. On the left, you can see the edges of the benches and one of the tables. On the right, slightly out of the photo is the window where the towel and the bucket normally appear each morning in preparation for the class. The restrooms are on the right and left of the arch and through the arch, beyond the trees, is the San Diego Zoo, the Children's Zoo to be exact. Sometimes we can hear the animals. But the Zoo is quite large and so I guess that's why I'm not surprised that we can't hear more animal noises than we do. The one I'm aware of upon occasion is the screech of the peacocks. Everything else seems to blend into the ambient noise all around us. Actually, up where we are, we hear the minature train going by and the antique carousel's music.

Today was a rather quiet day, as they go. The train and the carousel don't operate during the week. At about noontime, I heard the rainbird out back. I haven't heard it for quite some time, but of course I'm not in my studio all the time. Today I did spend the day inside, working on a turquoise necklace. Philip came by and set up my new printer. It seems to work fine, and is more or less the same as the old one, except that of course the ink cartridges from one don't fit in the other. I was able to return the old ones, though.

I want to make a sort of fold up package to put my jewelry in when I sell it. I hae the idea of getting a pattern for a little container that would be sort of a cross between an envelop and a box that would hold a necklace. I would take the pattern or template and create a background on it and include my name and address and phone number. Then the whole would be printed out, cut out, and folded to create a personalized container that I could use. I worked on the idea some this afternoon, but I needed thicker paper. So this evening, when I went to return the unused printer ink, I bought some card stock. I'll try making a box tomorrow. It has to be one that is relaitvely easy to assemble, so that I don't spend a lot of time on each one. Of course, my rate of sales are not so great that I couldn't easily keep up with production. But, still, I want it to be simple and ingenuous.

No comments: