Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Trying To Get Organized






Here's the latest photo of the agave stalks. I think it's a good one, showing how the branches are beginning to form, extending perpendicular to the main stalk. I think that's where the flowers will be. I'm not sure. Once again, my knowledge of botany fails me.

I spent the day working on Spanish Village business for the most part. I am the Recording Secretary, so I sometimes get asked to find information in previous months' meeting minutes. Because I went through a period when I was having computer problems, and because we have an office on the premises for the use of the Board of Directors, I have prepared the typed versions of minutes there. Now that I have the computer in my studio, I need to spend a certain amount of time organizing the minutes, making sure that both my computer and the one in the office have copies of all the minutes and other documents I've prepared over time. Our current term ends with elections in February, 2007. Even though I may run again, I want to get everything from this past term organized. That way I can move on with a fresh start.

Having spent time organizing Spanish Village documents, I moved on to organizing some of my own drawers. I'm trying to figure out how to fit everything in my studio. I need a certain amount of space for various kinds of paper, like business card stock, heavy paper for tags, regular paper for minutes and memos, transparencies for photo etchings. I managed to get some of those in my file cabinet. However, the regular hanging file folders are too thin to hold reams of paper. I began cleaning out the second file drawer which is currently filled with magazines. I might put paper in there, although I'm not sure how handy that would be. The option is to get a paper tray with about four shelves. However, I am not sure whether it's worth giving up that much space on my bookcase. On the other hand, I like things to be convenient and within reach. Right now I have so much stuff on my inside worktable, and I'd really like to put it somewhere else in my studio.

I also spent time organizing my etchings. I have a large portfolio in which I keep them. I went through them and put all the various series together, first the fish, then the flowers, then the trees. I also added some of the ones I've printed at school this semester. Yesterday I bought a smaller portfolio in which to care my current work to and from school. Most of what I'm working on now will stay in there. I'll transfer it later.

And of course looking at all of the etchings makes me realize there are many of them I could at least mat and put in a print rack. I loaned my large print rack to Philip because I don't have room for it in my studio; however, I've considered getting one that sits on the table. And of course I could get busy and frame some of them as well. There's still room on the wall for more prints. The other option is to rotate them with the ones hanging on the wall now. I admit I hate to mat and frame my work. I like it when it's done, but I hate actually doing it. I have lots and lots of frames, though. I stocked up several years ago. And I still have a fair number of the better quality standard mats. I stocked up on those, too, because I can no longer buy them. However, there is an artist here in the Village who cuts mats as a business. So he will cut me some. I just have to give him the sizes. One more thing to do.

No comments: