Friday, January 06, 2006

The End of This Part of the Journey

The three wise men arrived today. I haven't actually seen them nor have I felt an instanteous epiphany, only the gradually developing one I've been experiencing for the last several months.

The feeling would date from early September, when I learned that my name had come to the top of the list and I was going to have my own studio at SpanishVillage (www.spanishvillageart.com). I was accepted as a member of the organization itself four years ago this month. I have been a joint occupant, called a partner, in several other studios, but now I have my own, to share or not as I see fit. Because it is a particularly small one, I can afford to occupy it alone. The biggest adjustment is that as the sole occupant, I'm required by the City of San Diego to keep my studio open five days per week, including Saturday and Sunday. If I took one or more partners to share it with me, I would be required to keep the studio open seven days a week.

I like being in my studio five days per week. Because my studio still needs to have repair work done on it, I'm technically not required to have it open at this point. However, I am determined now that the holiday season has come to an end, to treat the studio as though it is a real, working studio.

On the days when I have sat alone in my studio, I find myself coming up with new ways to make pieces of jewelry and to solve the inherent problems found in the creative process. It's the result of digging deep into the mind that amazes me. When we stop our frantic pace and listen to our minds, they speak to us on many subjects.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»