Monday, January 09, 2006

Time For a New Method

I've been buying a great deal of gold-filled wire. So far, I haven't been able to find a place where I can buy it in quantity online. I'm sure I'll come across a source eventually, after I spend enough time searching. In the meantime, I began to worry about running out of money to buy wire. I use approximately $20 worth of wire for a long necklace. If I make two necklaces a week or more, that runs into a fair amount of money for a little broom closet company. But recently the jury chairperson of Spanish Village says that the categories for jewelry are all included under a general heading of jewelry. So under these new rules, I can make other forms of jewelry. It occurs to me I can use silk and make hand knotted necklaces that would use $1.50 worth of jewelers silk as opposed to $20 worth of wire.

I never was satisfied with the way a knotted necklace was finished off at the clasp. I always thought it wasn't very professional, no matter how it was done. But I have an idea for drawing the long end and the short end of the silk through a bead and then cutting off the short end. That would give the silk some length beyond the knot to prevent unraveling. I'm happy I came up with this idea because knotted necklaces are lovely and in this case will save me lots of money.

Last night my large outside table was disassembled and delivered to Spanish Village. It currently sits in front of my studio in a heap. Hopefully the artist who built it will have time to reassemble it in the next day or so. Then I can work outside. The weather has been so lovely, I'll enjoy it.

When I had my office job taking care of that crazy old printer and exploring the world wide web, I positioned my computer on a table in front of the window. In the summer, I worked with my window wide open. I felt almost as though I were working outside. I always did wonder what all that salt air did to the insides of my CPU, but it didn't seem to matter. And by that time I had my own little dot matrix printer which didn't seem the worse for wear either, sitting there in the open window, the damp breeze blowing across it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»