Saturday, January 07, 2006

Remembering a Daisy Wheel






Here's my workspace, such as it is. Originally I sat in a plastic chair, but now I have these two nice Chippendale chairs that I bought at the Goodwill for $20 each. And they're remarkably comfortable. On the right hand side, there in the back, is where I'll put my desk and my laptop computer along with the printer and scanner. The whole setup will be smaller than that old daisy wheel printer that was so attached to me that it would only run after I had come downstairs and caressed it back into service. How I hated the inconvenience of that old thing.

My studio computer won't be hooked up to the internet, I've decided at this point. It will only be for marketing literature, such as tags, brochures, business cards, flyers, information about art techniques, all the information I'll use in my studio. My studio phone will be a cellphone. Of course, I could hook the computer to the cellphone and get internet service, but I'll do my internet work at home.

I do spend a great deal of time surfing the internet. Surfing? How did we ever come up with that term. It certain sounds very California. I remember hearing the term "surfing" fairly soon after the web became so popular, but I've forgotten who first used it. Probably someone on television or NPR. I do remember that Vice President Gore was credited with taking steps to make it available to more people. He called it the information super highway. Is that the right term? Amazing how we forget the details of the old days. Anyway, now we just surf the web.

I think I've only purchased one item from an online store. One night when I was looking at jewelry, as I almost always do, I found a vintage sterling necklace that matched a bracelet I had. So I ordered it. Everything was fine. I think I'll begin ordering jewelry supplies now. I'm familiar with all the items in all the local bead stores, and I find there are items they don't have, like certain small pearls, large qualities of gold wire at inexpensive prices, and Swaroski crystals in certain sizes, shapes, and colors. I'm an instant gratification kind of person, but I would be silly not to take advantage of this wonderful resource we have to explore the possible opportunities for supplementing my inventory. After all, isn't that what those computer gurus envisioned? Who knows.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»