Saturday, April 29, 2006

Now It's My Turn






When I studied interior design at the University of Arizona, one of the first things I remember learning was that if you wanted to make some piece of furniture "disappear" make it the same color as the wall. It's amazing that this old metal cabinet which I really need for storage turns out to be so close in color to my wall. It really blends right in. I'll probably cover the top with something, a piece of cloth. But it's hardly noticeable itself, just as it works into a wall grouping. The thing about it is that it has three file drawers on the left and a cabinet with three shelves on the right. I need the file drawers for paperwork in connection with my business and also with Spanish Village business. And then I can use the other drawers to store my etchings in and maybe idea files and/or sketches. On the right hand side I plan to keep my metalsmithing tools and my "kitchen" things, including a small coffee pot and cans of various foods that I can eat if I get hungry. Yesterday I accidentially left some raw asparagus and pea pods on my desk. I had been munching on them. I thought they would have been eaten by this morning, but they weren't. I don't intend to leave food out, but apparently at this point I don't have a problem. I want to keep it that way. If I have crackers for Fourth Thursday, I'll keep them in a plastic container.

This was the first day I spent getting organized. I want everything to be in a good place, and I want to know where everything is, so I'm trying to arrange things in categories. I realize I need to get some plastic storage bins for some items. And the other main thing right now is to bring in the larger bookcase and mop the floor. I don't feel as though I can really get everything settled until I do that. Today I spent the day going through paperwork and photos of jewelry that I have kept. I have at least gone through all the magazines and taken out what I want. I also took all those extension cords and, together with some other lights I have, put them in a brown bag for now. I think if I get plastic containers, I can label them, so I know what they contain.

I didn't spend any time today making jewelry although I worked on filing down some old brass pieces that I'm going to use for pendants. But I don't think I'll have much time for making anything for a few days until I get better organized. The City has done their part. Now it's my turn to create a pleasant workspace for myself.

I was at the grocery store and the clerk admired my copper rings. I think that once I've got an inventory of them, they should do well, too. I just need to get everything made and put out. It's going to take time. Rifght now it looks like a long road ahead. But I know if I take it one step at a time, I'll get there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested