Monday, May 01, 2006

From eWorld To Wi-Fi




Here's a photo of my "new" bookcase. It has been sitting in my yard for awhile and you can see the dust on it. Also, it looks as though that top shelf is warped. My husband built it for me about 25 years ago. It's not in good shape now, but I'm going to paint it and put it in the back of my studio. It will be good for storing my beads, those that are in boxes. I got some maroon paint to put on it, after I prime it. I'm anxious to get started tomorrow morning. Once it's done and in my studio, I'll really begin to get things well organized.

I'm also counting on putting my printer and my scanner on it. I hope that's going to work, because otherwise I'm going to have a serious problem with where I put my computer and peripherals. The back of my desk is nine inches deep. I plan to get a new, flatscreen monitor to put up there. Imagine even a few years back even thinking that you coud get a monitor that is no more than nine inches deep, from front to back. And on top of that, having the CPU sitting on the floor, out of the way. That leaves only my keyboard and mouse on the small central portion of my desk. A few years back, the only option would have been my laptop. But the laptop is old, and I'd like to keep it here at home. That way, I'll have more room on my table here.

Actually, the laptop is not the only computer that could go on that desk. I used that desk for my Mac Classic about 12 or 14 years ago. I'd forgotten about that until just now. That was in the early days of the internet when I subscribed to eWorld, the Apple version of AOL. Too bad that never really took off. In those days, I use to go to the Reuters section and read world news. The coverage was excellent. My fondness for Reuters dates to that period.

I had a live phone jack in the kitchen, and when I surfed the net, I'd plug in a long phone cord that connect the computer modem to the phone line. I'd write emails to a friend, read the news, and then unplug the phone cord so that neither of us would trip over it when we went into the kitchen. It worked just fine. I still have a tee-shirt that says eWorld Beta Tester. I like wearing it. I consider it to be a status symbol of sort.

Now we're planning to set up Wi-Fi and make Spanish Village into a hot spot. That way, if we advertise it as such, we hope to encourage people to come and hang out more, so that the main patio looks more populated. I guess we just have to try it and see how it works. I've been waiting for years for wireless internet. Of course, I have it on my phone, but it's not quite the same. I'm excited. And for me, as the Recording Secretary of Spanish Village, I'll be able to send out emails to members at the flick of a wrist. It's going to be very convenient.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»