Sunday, May 21, 2006

Isn't Summer Here Yet?







Here's my table all ready for me outside. And I sat there for about three hours today. What a day to choose as my first official outdoor day. It was so cold that I finally had to go back inside and get my wool sweater.

On the whole, I do enjoy being outside, but today was overcast all day. No, I take that back. The sun began to break through when I first arrived at my post. And it occured to me that I might have to make a better arrangement for the umbrella because it didn't actually cast any shade on me. The sun was too high overhead. By the time the sun had dropped down in the sky, it was so overcast that it didn't matter whether the umbrella was there or not.

But anyway, a few people came up and looked at the jewelry I had put out. I created a display rack out of sprinkler pipes that I bought at the hardware store. It works for bracelets, but it's not tall enough for necklaces. You can see it there to the left of my chair. At one point about a month ago, I had it in my studio and it fell off the table, breaking the beads on several of the bracelets. So that was the first task today: to replace the broken beads. Then I worked on a garnet and pearl necklace.

I always try to plan in advance when I know I'm going to be at the studio all day. I want to make sure I have all the materials I need. I don't want to wind up sitting there with nothing to do because I've forgotten to buy something. Of course, now with so many different options available to me, I could always find something to do. But anyway, yesterday, I went to get silk, thinking I could string the other garnets I have, the roundels. However, when I got to the studio, I realized the silk I purchased was too thick to go through the holes. However, I did hunt around and find some that was thinner. Then when I started to work on the garnet and pearl necklace, I realized the wire I expected to use was too thick as well. Fortunately, I had some that was thinner. I'll have to get more though to finish the necklace.

On the fourth Thursday of the month, we stay open until 8:30 in the evening. I talked to the artist in the studio opposite me about creating interest in our corner which is kind of dark and unwelcoming. We came up with a variety of ideas including lights, easels, paint, a print rack. Most of those we can do except the paint probably. But we are all in agreement about making some changes to add interest back there. I hope it will help. I really would like people to come visit us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»