Sunday, May 28, 2006

Holiday Weekend








Here's a remarkably blurry photo of my work table all dressed up for weekends. The artist in the next studio loaned me the tablecloth and helped me bring out some of my jewelry. It was such a nice, sunny day that I couldn't bear to be inside. I spent the whole day outside and even worked at my table until 5:00, later than usual.

There were a number of visitors watching the glass blowing that goes on everyday out in front of my studio. It attracts a great number of people, some who just happen to be walking by and some who know what they're looking for and return to watch more than once. Almost all the glass blowing is done by students who are taking lessons from the artist in the next studio. She has been blowing glass for over 25 years and spends most of her time teaching. The lessons involve teaching the student and answering questions from onlookers. It's a hard job for her; she's on stage all day long. And she frequently mentions how tired she is by the time she leaves in the evening. I don't think I'd want to teach like that.

I spent the day at my table redoing a necklace that I made about two years ago. The necklace was originally made with brass wire and was purchased by one of the other artists in the Village. However, after she wore it several times, one of the beads came off, and she asked me to fix it. When we broke up the studio, I took it home and it disappeared into my pile of jewelry "stuff." Finally the other day I happened to find it. She had just asked me about it a few days before. So I told her I would redo it for her using gold-filled wire. I thought that would be nice. And when I looked at the necklace several days ago, I realized I really did have to remake it. My skills have improved so much that I really had to laugh at how much better I am now. That's nice of course. So that was my main project for the day. And she was very happy with the end result. I was too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»