Thursday, May 18, 2006

Learning Curve

Recently I was talking to one of the chairpersons at Spanish Village, and she was asking me about my art. I admitted that I'm not creating any art right now. I haven't been for awhile now. I'm making jewelry, but most of what I'm making is really rather ordinary in terms of the combinations of stones and colors. And I haven't done any drawing or printmaking or painting or book arts. Today was no exception.

I spent the day hand-knotting a necklace of cz's and Swaroski crystals with a handmade gold-filled clasp. It's a pretty red necklace, but there's nothing out of the ordinary about it. The cz's need to be combined with some pearls and more gold-filled wire maybe or with one or two other red stones. Interestingly enough, when I went through the stack of magazine photos I have, there wasn't anything that really inspired me.

This is the "paying your dues" part of all this. I've felt it before, and I know I'm going through it now. I just have to keep making various pieces of jewelry, keep making different styles, trying new ideas and new color combinations before I get something really special, really unique and unusual. It's funny that almost all my knotted necklaces are not so good. With almost every one, I feel I should take it apart and change the color scheme or the clasp or something about the necklace. And I suppose over time I'll do that, especially the ones that don't sell.

I still don't have my studio set up, and I had hoped to get that done by today, but I was tired. This weekend, I am determined to get my display back together, even if I still haven't spent enough time on the floor. I want to start attracting attention into my studio and having something to show when people do come in. I suppose I've been hesitating because I want everything to be perfect, but I can't let that stop me. I'll probably never have it perfect. I have to just accept it the way it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»