Tuesday, May 30, 2006

A Taste of Summer









I went back to the studio this evening to get something and took this photo about 6:00 p.m. It's pretty I think with the shadows in the trees and across the walkway. You can see a little of my table on the right hand side. I spent the whole day sitting at it. It was a pleasant day. That big tree back there creates shade in the morning and I'm not in direct sun until noontime. I sat for awhile in the sun. Then I got my hat and later I put up the umbrella. It's such nice weather; I hate to sit under the umbrella. I know it's not good for me, but I like having some tan. It helps me feel healthy.

Spanish Village has a process for accepting new members called "jurying in." You bring five pieces to the jurying which takes place twice a year. Three judges look at your pieces and evaluate whether they think your work has enough promise that you should be encouraged as an artist. If two of the three judges so decide, then you are eligible to become a member.

If you're already a member, you can jury in to a new medium by bringing in an additional five pieces to the jurying and if you're accepted you can display work in that medium as well. You can only display and sell work in your juried medium/media. My media are printmaking, jewelry, and painting. I've decided to try for two additional media: three dimensional mixed media and paper arts. So I turned in my application. The next jurying will take place on June 10. We'll see what happens. Lots of people were submitting applications today, both prospective and current members.

No comments: